There are two major viewpoints among American Muslims regarding 9/11:
1. Many American Muslims believe that no Muslims were involved in the 9/11 attacks, and that the U.S. government and/or the Israeli government actually organized the 9/11 attacks. These American Muslims believe the U.S. government and/or the Israeli government acted in this way in order to justify the American invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and to justify a crackdown on civil liberties in America.
2. Many American Muslims take a completely different view. They believe that a group of Muslims carried out the 9/11 attacks, because that group of Muslims opposed American foreign policy towards the Muslim world.
American Muslims are not alone. There are two American “truth movements” actively promoting views like those described above, but neither of these “truth movements” has received enough support to really make an impact. Ironically, very few American Muslims actively support either of these “truth movements.”
The 9/11 Truth Movement
The 9/11 Truth Movement believes that the U.S. government knew about the 9/11 attacks in advance and allowed the attacks to occur, or that the U.S. government actually organized the 9/11 attacks. These Americans believe that explosives brought down the World Trade Center and that a missile (not a plane) hit the Pentagon. These Americans believe the U.S. government allowed/orchestrated the 9/11 attacks in order to justify the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and to justify a crackdown on civil liberties in America. These Americans seek to challenge the view that a group of Muslims carried out the 9/11 attacks all by themselves. (These Americans do not necessarily take the position that Muslims were not involved in the 9/11 attacks.)
The New York City Coalition for Accountability Now (NYC CAN) is trying to get a referendum on the New York City ballot in November 2009 creating a local, independent commission with subpoena power to re-investigate the 9/11 attacks. 80,000 New Yorkers have signed a petition in support of the referendum, but New York City opposes allowing the referendum on the ballot. The issue is currently in court.
The “Why Do They Hate Us?” Truth Movement
The “Why Do They Hate Us?” Truth Movement believes that a group of Muslims carried out the 9/11 attacks, because those Muslims opposed American foreign policy towards the Muslim world. The goal of these Americans is to encourage the American people to re-think America’s foreign policy towards the Muslim world, and to make sure that America has a foreign policy that is really in America’s best interests. These Americans seek to challenge the view that a group of Muslims carried out the 9/11 attacks because those Muslims hated the freedoms that Americans have.
The “Why Do They Hate Us?” Truth Movement includes Congressman Ron Paul and Michael Scheuer, former head of the CIA’s Bin Ladin Unit and author of Imperial Hubris.
The “Why Do They Hate Us?” Truth Movement includes organizations like Representative Press.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Saladin on Why Did Prophet Muhammad Go To War?
- A Very Interesting Survey | The Captain's Comments on National Security Survey Conducted At 2006 American Muslim Conventions
- joining the armed forces | cctvjakarta.info on Should American Muslims Join the American Armed Forces?
- Heinz Buschkowsky: Multikulti ist gescheitert - Seite 33 on Should American Muslims Join the American Armed Forces?
- Torture muslim | Istudyweb on Should America Torture Muslims Suspected Of Plotting To Attack America?